Poseidon’s Vineyard, planted in 1973, lies at the confluence of Carneros Creek and the Napa River at the northern edge of the San Francisco Bay.
At high tide the river tastes of salt, a reminder of the sea's proximity and reach as well as an inspiration for the name Poseidon. Pacific winds blow through the Petaluma Gap from the west and bring cooling fog throughout the spring, summer, and fall, tempering the generosity of California sun. Although Poseidon was the god of water, in his additional role of god of earthquakes he created the uplifted Mayacamas Range, which provides the soils and gravel of our vineyard.
At the southernmost section of Napa's Carneros appellation, what is now Poseidon's Vineyard was among the first cultivated land in the Napa Valley. First used by the Spanish missionaries from the Sonoma Mission for livestock, the land was quickly put to productive use by settlers after the Gold Rush.
Maps from that time often used the distinctive bends of Carneros Creek on the eastern border of the vineyard as a landmark (that's what you see on the label, from an 1860 Coastal Survey by David Kerr). Proximity to the Napa River and easy transportation to San Francisco have always made this land valuable. Rumor has it that old Boonfly himself, a local Carneros legend, is buried in our Poseidon's Vineyard.